- Packing List
- Meeting Spaces
- Retreat Center Gallery
- Planning your Retreat
- New England Fiber Arts Retreat
- Maine Astronomy Retreat (MARS)
- Mindfulness Yoga & Meditation Retreat
- Feldenkrais Retreat
COME TO YOUR SENSES
The Feldenkrais Method(R) Comes to Medomak Retreat Center!
July 21-27, 2019
IMAGINE . . .
No demands on your time. A good night’s sleep in a comfortable cabin in the quiet pines, chef prepared meals, leisurely strolls, hikes, swims in a pristine lake, companionship when you want it, solitude when you need it.
And to top it all off . . .
Feldenkrais Awareness through Movement® lessons available every morning and afternoon…
At Feldenkrais Camp we re-calibrate the balance of study, rest, work and play to welcome you back to the delight of being in your body.
Whether you are new to the Feldenkrais Method, a practitioner with years of experience, or someone who has always wanted to study but never had the time, join us for this unique experience---a Feldenkrais Retreat from July 21-27, 2019 at the beautiful Medomak Retreat Center. This retreat will focus on reconnecting with one's natural abilities to think, move, and feel. Awareness Through Movement (R) (ATM) classes, which were developed by Moshe Feldenkrais, are slow, quiet, deep explorations of our inner experience of moving. Come and discover that you still have that brilliant childhood capacity for learning to move more easily, efficiently, and comfortably.
Picture leaving your ATM lesson and walking down a quiet path instead of a paved street, letting the uneven terrain stimulate your balance and enliven your senses. Our Maine Retreat keeps distractions to a minimulm so that we stay in touch with the self discoveries we’ve made in class. New sensations, patterns of movement, thoughts, and feelings are allowed to become integrated into our daily lives. Maine, with its pristine resources of light, water, air and the rustic charm of Camp Medomak combine with our ATM study to enhance how you see, hear, smell, taste, touch and move.
. . . I’m interested in flexible minds. What I’m interested in is restoring each person to their human dignity. . . .Moshe Feldenkrais
Feldenkrais instructors, Suzanne Avery Thompson and Anna J. Wolf (Johnson-Chase), combine their talents and love of teaching for this unique getaway. They bring a special sensibility into the communication of a lesson and together create a profoundly welcoming and accepting atmosphere in every aspect of this retreat so that we can explore and grow and become who we truly are. MEET THE INSTRUCTORS
Medomak Camp. Holly and George Stone are the owners of Camp Medomak, a picturesque retreat center built in 1904 on Lake Washington in the north woods of Maine. They are committed to keeping the land pollution free. The wild blueberries in the field (which you are encouraged to pick) are never sprayed, the water is tested once a month and the meals served are organic, whenever possible. The yogurt and milk provided at breakfast come from their resident happy cow. Even light pollution too is intentionally kept to a minimum, so bring a flashlight at night for walks from the campfire back to your cabin!
TUITION COSTS FOR OUR LEISURELY WEEK LONG IMMERSION INCLUDES:
• Rooms: Private or dormitory style pine wood cabins. Pillows, blankets, linen and towels The showers are hot and clean.
• Meals: All our plentiful meals and snacks are chef prepared in our kitchen, locally sourced and predominantly organic. Be sure to let us know on your registration form about any dietary needs or preferences you might have -Chef Julia has delicious recipes for all options. Coffee and Tea are available all day. There’s a daily Happy Hour with light hors d’ouevres.
• Classes: 15 hours of ATM chosen for their ability to intrigue the professional Feldenkrais practitioner as well as the beginner in The Method. Copies of all the ATM lessons are sent after camp for personal use or for practitioners to use with their classes back home, so no note- taking necessary, unless you want to!
• Feldencruise: A guided group tour on a pontoon boat at sunset that explores beautiful Lake Washington, just a short walk from the dining hall.
• Telescope viewing of the night sky: Camp Medomak has been designated a light free zone and has great views of the heavens. The Maine Astronomy Retreat is held here annually. Camp staff accompany us one night for a chance to use the large stationary telescopes and see the northern constellations and the rings of Saturn up close!
• Campfires in the evenings–heartfelt sing-a-longs, some guitar or banjo pickin’, and always "s'mores"!
Every day there are four hours of free time to:
Be as active as you want… swim, canoe or kayak in the cold clean waters of Lake Washington…pick wild blueberries from the camp’s fields… hike a wooded trail…have a game of tennis , basketball or ping pong… visit the charming coastal towns of Rockport and Camden (20 minutes away by car)...Acadia National Park (two hours away)… Treat yourself to an on campus massage (extra)… Pet the two resident cows (friendly)…visit the 100 year old Outdoor Stone Chapel on campus and contemplate the passage of time…Nap in the stillness of the afternoon… Chat with fellow Felden-campers from all over the country….
Or just sit and rock on the porch with an open book on your lap and listen to the whispering pines…
We have fine cell phone reception and internet accessibility in all main buildings, open for access 24/ 7…however, you may not want to be that accessible…
There is a magic to this retreat in the way it combines the natural setting and the Feldenkrais Method. It unfolds like a slow ride on a Ferris wheel at night. As we leave the ground of the familiar and the habitual, the shift in our senses develops almost imperceptibly. At some point during the ride you begin to notice how small the lights are below you, and how much bigger the lights seem above you, closer, close enough for you to reach. By the end of the week when your feet once more touch ground, the sensations of floating and ease as you walk away from the ride linger for a long, long while. . .
Costs and Registration Policy
Click the registration button at top of this site (upper right under photos) to download registration forms., or Call 1-866-MEDOMAK to register.
Private cabin: $1395 Shared cabin: $1195 Dorm: $1095
Van transportation each way to and from Portland Airport $52.75
A $100 non-refundable deposit is due at time of registration.
If registering after February 1st, a deposit plus half tuition will be due to hold your registration. Remaining tuition is due May 1st. If registering after May 1st, full tuition is due at time of registration. Alternate payment structures are available upon request.
REGISTRATION REMAINS OPEN THROUGH July 21st, SPACE PERMITTING.
Prior to March 1st tuition is refundable minus the $100 deposit fee
Cancellations made less than 8 weeks from date of arrival are non-refundable UNLESS the spots reserved are filled by others on our waiting list. If it is filled then, tuition will be refunded minus a $250 cancellation fee and the $100 dollar deposit.
COME TO CAMP, COME TO YOUR SENSES